Moving SQL 2005 to 2008

S Sean Wheatley 3 years 5 months ago
0 1 0

Hi, I have upgraded to 3.3.1 but kept with SQL 2005. I want now to move to SQL 2008 so I can enable the GPS locationing feature set. What steps do I follow to move from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008? WIll I keep my existing MSP database? Apologies if its in the guide but I didnt see any how-to's migrating from 2005 to 2008. Thanks.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

A Andrew Knight

Sean, without getting into too much of a discussion about SQL, the overall process would look something like this: 1. Uninstall your MSP system that is using SQL 2005 (the MSP database will not be removed) 2. Uninstall SQL 2005 (the MSP database, .mdf and .ldf files will remain in the Data folder) 3. Install SQL 2008, and then move your MSP database files in the new SQL 2008 Data folder. 4. Use SQL Mgmt Studio to attach your MSP database to the new SQL 2008 instance. 5. Reinstall MSP pointing to the new SQL 2008 instance. As long as you specify the same database name during the MSP installation, it will recognize the existing database and ask if you want to keep the existing data. Complete the installation. As always, we recommend saving backups and testing any proposed procedure in a lab environment before applying it to a production system.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?