VC6096 - Update RDP Client In WM 6.5 Image

// Expert user has replied.
K Kenneth Ryan 3 years 5 months ago
0 4 0

1.  9:42 AM 10/27/2010 2.  3 Day 3.  VC6096 4.  WM 6.5 5.  2247880 Question:  Is the updated RDP Client mentioned in this MSDN Article integrated into the VC6096 OS Image? http://blogs.msdn.com/b/raffael/archive/2009/09/11/remote-desktop-mobile... "In any case, regarding the inactivity timeout issue, luckily Windows Mobile 6.5 _should_ now have an updated version of the Remote Desktop Mobile application that OEMs can include in their images, easier to use on the field as it allows, for example, to finally customize an idle timeout!! " Details: Q Data Inc has an issue with one of their customers running on WM 6.1 where they are complaining the RDP Disconnects after 10 minutes of timeout.  They opened up a case with Microsoft.  Microsoft pointed them back to use stating a new RDP Client is available to fix this, but it has to come from the OEM building it into the OS Image.  Hence the question above.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

K Kenneth Ryan

Per Microsoft Case S20101026151311908
It turns out that there is a feature to change the timeout available starting in WM 6 AKU 1.2.14 (which means that all WM 6.5 builds should have this as well), but there is no “infinite” option.

Here are details:

You can re-configure the idle timeout value (in minutes) for the RDP connection client. The default idle timeout value is 20 minutes when the Map to remote machine option is enabled, and 5 minutes when the when the Do not map to remote machine option is enabled. You can set the idle timeout value from 20 minutes to 24 hours when the Map to remote machine option is enabled. When the Do not map to remote machine option is enable, you can set the idle timeout value from 5 minutes to 24 hours.

Configure the following registry key to specify the idle timeout values for an RDP connection.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client

The registry key above has the following configurable value.

Value

Description

RDPIdleTimeout

A dword value which specifies the idle timeout setting for an RDP client connection in minutes. The default value is 0.

The following table describes the values that can be assigned to the RDPIdleTimeout registry value.

Note:

he actual timeout may vary from the value set to twice the value set, as the activity is checked at the very boundary of the timeout. For example, if the timeout is set at 5 minutes the actual timeout varies from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.

Value

Description

Registry is not present

The idle timeout for the Map to remote machine option is 20 minutes
The idle timeout for the Do not map to remote machine option is 5 minutes

Default setting of 0

5 or less

6 to 20

The idle timeout for the Do not map to remote machine option is the value set

21 to 1440

The idle timeout for the Map to remote machine option is the value set
The idle timeout for the Do not map to remote machine option is the value set

1441 or greater

D David Meyer

The article you posted is a blog entry, and not any official word from Microsoft.  In fact, he says "should be", not "is" included.  I looked through the release notes for all Microsoft changes to WM since 6.1.5 (i.e. throughout all 6.5.x releases), and it does not reference any change to timeouts in RDP.

K Kenneth Ryan

Here is the Microsoft Email: Good morning! I checked it with my resources in Windows Mobile. This is a known issue and unfortunately from what I know, the updated Remote Desktop Mobile application is only available for device manufacturers (OEMs), not for device users. A not recommended workaround would be to periodically inject input messages into the Remote Desktop Mobile application window from a background process before the inactivity timeout hits. Please engage the device manufacturer (OEM) of your target device. Hope this helps! Kind regards Vijay Pathak Partner Technical Consultant | Technical Advisory Services | Microsoft Global Partner Support Delivery Email: vijay.pathak@microsoft.com mailto:vijay.pathak@microsoft.com> | Direct Phone: + 1 866 425-7701 Ext. 2817 Send your feedbacks directly to my manager Sabyasachi Ghosh (sabyag@microsoft.com mailto:sabyag@microsoft.com>) Team blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptcblog> This seems to indicate the blog is correct.  Does the RDP update not exist? Is Microsoft wrong?

D David Meyer

If the customer is already in touch with Microsoft, then Microsoft can indicate which WM AKU it is supposedly in, and also how to change the timeout. The customer can look to see what the version number of the OS is to see the AKU and would know if they have this RDP client.  I still don't see any documentation showing the existence of this change to RDP, so unless Microsoft can point out what AKU it is in, it does not exist. -Dave

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?