WEP Passphrase in Slot other than #1??

// Expert user has replied.
R Robert Kloentrup 3 years 5 months ago
0 3 0

I'm at a customer site that uses Intermec and Cisco and they use a WEP Passpharse in Slot number 2. In Fusion 2.57.x as soon as you click the box to use a passphrase the option to change to any slot besides 1 is immediately disabled and greyed out, do we only support HEX keys in any slot besides #1? My laptop will connect to the network with no problem. P.S. I know this is an ancient / unsecure encryption method but they are not willing to change at this time.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

E Efkan YILMAZ

You might want to contact Bill Perryman, a TA in the Central Zone.  We worked on a project together for Grainger that required the WEP Passphrase coupled with the Cisco AP's a few years ago (it was our GRIP that got the WEP Passphrase suppport into the Fusion API).  If I remember, correctly, the Passphrase did match the Cisco AP at the time. Now the versions of Fusion and, I'm sure the Cisco AP's have advanced since then, but it might be worth talking to Bill to get some details.

D David Meyer

When we generate WEP keys via a passphrase, all 4 indexed WEP keys are created. I am not sure what the Intermec and Cisco passphrase option is that sets up key 2.

R Robert Caporino

Bob You have to be careful with passphrase when using WEP. Unlike WPA passphrase, WEP pass phrase is not defined in the spec. Therefore, the algorithms used to generate the hex values will differ from vendor to vendor. I suspect that you will not get the same hashed hex value when using the same passphrase on the AP and our devices. We will generate all four WEP keys from a single passphrase, but again i doubt they will match what the cisco AP is generating. you will need to find out what hex key/values are being generated from the passphrase within the cisco AP and then enter those values in the terminal.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?