Fusion and 64 Hex character passkey

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
1 5 0

I have an issue that was supposing resolved a few years ago with GRIP 4113. It reads: Customer uses existing MC9060 with Mobile Companion and WPA encryption. They use 64 hex character input method for WPA. When transition to MC9090, MC70 with Fusion 2.4, only pass-phrase method of input is allowed, so customer can not use the same WPA encryption, and must change the WLAN infrastructure Symbol must have features that are consistent across old and new models. Asking customer to change their WLAN infrastructure and MC9060 to adapt to the new MC9090 does not sit well with most customers, because of the down time and effort. The GRIP reads:

11/14/2009

This GRIP is closed as per the TA manager feedback

Robert Fitton

Status Moved To: Grip Closed

Priority:

07/02/2007

hex support will be made available fur Fusion 2.55 with limited functionality. Full support will be available in next maintentance release.

Luis Llamas

Status Moved To: Concept Commit

Priority: Not Selected

I've reached out to the TA who submitted the GRIP but have have not gotten a response and we're at a critical stage in displacing Psion devices. There was an email string that refered to a Fusion patch/add-on/upgrade to allow the TKIP Passkey to accept a 64 Hex character input. It refers to this being ported to version 2.55. I now have a customer that is requiring this exact feature for both WM and CE. I have a WM MC9090 running BSP 1.43/Fusion version 2.55.1.0.010R and this feature is not available. I received a cab file (MC9090 WM5 WPA-TKIP 64 HEX.CAB) that was supposed to make this feature available but it doesn't. My question is: Was this cab file only for a certain OS/Fusion version? Was there an issue in porting this to Fusion 2.55? And is there a version available for CE?

This is potentially a very large opportunity and the customer is pretty steadfast on keeping their network configuration because they have multiple locations and don't want to have to go to each site and reconfigure their APs. Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

5 Replies

D David Meyer

One addition in response to Phil's posting: Fusion 2.57 does not have support for HEX entry of the key either. There are no standard product releases of Fusion on MPA 1.0 products which contain this support.  It was because of limited resources during development that this feature was not included, not because of any technical limitations. Dave

E Efkan YILMAZ

Just in case anyone comes up with the same issue, attached is the Fusion version that works for both the WM5 and CE5.0 MC9090.

P Phillip Haritos

I do know that Fusion 2.57 with Windows Mobile 6.1 on the MC759X and MC559X does support both WPA passkey and 64-Hex key.  However I can't remember if there was a limitation to the Photon radio versus Jedi as it relates to this feature.  Again it is most definitely supported on MPA 1.5 and 2.0, but I would have to defer to the MCD WLAN team or ECRT to confirm on MPA 1.0.  For if it does work on Photon then it should be part of the last BSP for MPA 1.0 devices or as a beta Hotfix from ECRT, which would most likely require Fusion 2.57 on WM 6.1 or CE 5.0 and not on Fusion 2.52 or 2.55 which was just a cab file udpate to 2.52. Regards, Phillip

D David Meyer

The version of Fusion that Ronald posted is a custom product that was done for one customer.  You will not get support through customer support or ECRT if you use this version without going through the CPR process and obtaining the software the correct way. We also cannot share software within DevCentral, so please do not download the version attached.

D David Meyer

The work done for MPA 1.0 products on Fusion 2.55 was handled as a custom product (although I don't think it was done through the custom products group).  I believe it just went through someone from Marketing and was done for a single customer. MPA 1.5 products and MPA 2.0 products have full support for both passphrase and full keys. Dave

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?