MC70 MC9090 WM5 to WM6.1 MEMORY ALLOCATION LOSS

// Expert user has replied.
R Reginald Corpuz 3 years 5 months ago
13 3 0

1) Time/Date: 4:58 PM/December 28

2) Response time: 4 hours

3) Product: MC70/MC9090 WM5

4) OS Version: BSP43

5) Clarify Case #:2287563 TA is asking: If upgrading from WM5 to WM6 on a MC9090 (64/128).. wants to know how much memory will be left. I've searched devcentral for the answer since I assume that this was answered before, I found 2 links but they were not answered directly: 1) First link from Peter Arcuri http://devcentral.motorola.com/view/18697/view.aspx We have a customer with 13k MC7094 64/128 running WM5.0 with plans to upgrade to WM6.1. Well, lo and behold they’ve recently come to the realization that WM6.1 out of the box reserves ~20Mb more physical memory then its predecessor. Thanks to Gene Niles’ ESCG phenomenal work, we managed to set the customer on the right track by suggesting 2 techniques, which are to use page pool size and reduce the cash disk I need to know exactly what Gene suggested to work around this issue and is it really you lose 20 MB of physical memory? 2) http://devcentral.motorola.com/view/10476/view.aspx Tom C mentioned in a 2008 post  Due to the increased OS size of WM6.1 compared to WM5.0, the super persistant store/clean boot persistant (AKA "Application" partition) will need to be reduced from the current 24MB to somewhere between 7MB - 10MB. - not sure if this has changed since this topic covers only feedback on this. Question: Can somebody please verify? 1) How much memory will you lose if you upgrade from WM5 to WM6.1 and is it only the \Application folder is affected? 2) Is there a way to reduce this impact on the end customer?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

R Reginald Corpuz

Thank you All for the feedback. FYI, Tom C. added this additional info.

Per the PEB0095:

Windows Mobile 6.1 Classic and Professional Editions(MC909x, MC70xx)

· Microsoft AKU1.1.5

· 17.5 MB Application partition for EMEA languages

· 13 MB Application partition for APAC languages

It doesn't mention English.  I don't remember but it is either the same as EMEA -- 17.5 or slightly higher.  You can always check this easily on a unit.

D David Meyer

Reggie, sorry to answer like this, but the answer to the main questions is that someone should load the image and see what is left.  We don't have it documented, so either you could do that, or ask the TA to do that. I don't know the answer to the pagepool size work around, so maybe Gene can answer that one. Dave

G Gene Niles

I'll update Peter's original post but the suggeston I gave is to use a program like emScript to see what the "effective" memory foot print of his customer is on the current OS. To do this, he would simply run the customer's application through it's paces and look for a max number and then provide some (subjective) margin for growth. If the free memory on the new OS is too tight, they can look into things like reducing the cache disk or modifying the application(s) to kill any unneeded background runs. I don't have the exact numbers but I do recall WM6 increasing in both storage and RAM usage. The best way is to simply run it to get a ballbark on the differences.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?