Licensing with AAP and AP licenses

M Matthieu Dierick 3 years 5 months ago
9 2 0

Hi team, If two RFS7000 have 256 AP licenses on each (not AAP licenses). If each RFS7000 has 256 Adaptive AP adopted. What does it happen if one RFS goes down? Is secondary RFS able to adopt 512 Adaptive AP even if there are only AP licenses in the cluster. Not AAP licenses. I think so, but I'm not sure. Thanks. Matt

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

S Sunalini Sankhavaram

The maximum capacity for each RFS7000 for thin AP licenses in WI-NG v4.x is 256. So if you have two fully loaded RFS7000s adopting 256 thin APs each, and if one of them fails, the other RFS7000 will will not be able to provide any failover capabilities as it is already maxed out at adopting 256 APs itself. The same applies if you are adopting Adaptive APs ( AP 5131 or AP 7131) with using "AP" licenses. the second controller will  not scale beyond 256 AP licenses. In this scenario, if you want to exceed the 256  AP ( applicable only to Adaptive APs) capacity per controller for adoption or failover, you would need to apply the Adaptive licenses. Please review the licensing guide under Wi-NG v4.x at this link: http://compass.mot-solutions.com/web/wlan/Guides

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

I am sure one single RFS7000 cannot adopt more than 256 AP or AAP, if licences are only for AP. That's why we had to use 16 RFS7000 at Correos at the beginning (to provide almost 100% fault tolerance). Now that AAP licences exist (and one RFS7000 can handle up to 1024 AAPs), 8 is enough (yes, it's a pun :) ).

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?