Monitor Processing - Provision Policy

// Expert user has replied.
B Brad McDonald 3 years 5 months ago
0 2 0

Hello, It there a way to monitor processing from a provision policy?  I would like to have my endusers see the MC7598 doing something instead of just sitting on a blank screen, while the processes are busy in the background. I'm thinking that a Windows Mobile before it makes it into AppCenter is just trouble waiting to happen. I did add the Start and Finish and Reboot messages, but thats just not enough. Thank You Brad

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

B Brad McDonald

Allan, Well, I found a work around.  I just added a brief wallpaper to the WM6.1 desktop, letting endusers know that they device is being provisioned and not to touch until AppCenter appears. I suppose I could have broken up each package with messages too, but dang that would be a bit of work. Thank You. Brad

A Allan Herrod

Brad; You haven't really given me much to go on in trying to answer your question.  Provisioning is intentionally aimed at silent background operation since it is intended to happen in parallel with other things happening on the device (e.g. running a LOB application) and to impact those other things as little as possible. The ability to display SOME messages, via Message Sets attached to a Bundle was an acknowledgement that sometime it is desirable to provide progress to the user since they may be waiting for something to happen (e.g. the application they were using is being updated and they had to stop using it until it is finished being updated).  Further, the ability to attach a Confirm Condition to a Policy allows the user to be consulted as to whether it is a good time to do something (such as update the application they are using). From what you are saying, it sounds like you have a situation where the user is required to wait for Provisioning to occur and you want the user to get detailed progress so they know what is happening.  It is not clear to me why this might be unless perhaps this is Provisioning being used as part of Smart Staging for initial use. Without knowing more, the best I can tell you is that you have two basic options.  First, you can invoke the Monitor Processing UI screen of the MSP Agent on the device and it will provide progress information.  Or, you can split up your Provisioning into multiple Policies that are "chained together" and use the separation of Bundles that results to increase the granulatity of messages produced. To give you a better answer, I would need to know a lot more about your exact requirements. Allan

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?