CRADLE_DETECT Pin Usage

// Expert user has replied.
R Robert Galvin 3 years 5 months ago
0 4 0

I am looking to see if anyone knows of partners that might be using the CRADLE_DETECT pin on the back of our devices. Scenarios: 1) Accessories that plug into the back of the device. Is this pin used for anything? 2) Applications that need to behave differently when in the cradle? 3) Applications that need to behave differently when they are in cradle or when they are in cup type charger. The electrical team is looking to reduce the # of pins on future products and is considerintg this PIN. To applications that are looking to see if the device is charging, that should still be able to be obtained in other methods. So really this would only effect the scenario #1 and scenario #3 above. Thoughts?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

D Don Khan

Rob,        The MC55/65 utilizes a 7 pin connector, and I do not believe that the cradle detect has been eliminated from this configuration.  What is the minimum number of contacts we are hoping to achieve? Note: 16 contacts on the MC7xx and 10 on the MC95.  I must say that I have paid little attention the the nature of all the contact points on the connectors.  I assumed that all were necessary!!

E Efkan YILMAZ

Rob - I would check with the RFID folks.  I'm pretty sure the MC9090-Z is using these pins to power off the RFID radio when the device is put in the cradle.  I think they are looking for AC power, but I noticed when I dropped the unit into an un-powered cradle, it powered off the RFID radio.

A Andrea Sada

Hi Rob I have two customers who are both in the Vehichle Tracking bussiness. The First is Tracker . They have a custom built module which is attached to the MC70. I have requested info from their engineers to determine if they use the Cradle Detect Pin at all. The Secons is Mix Telematics. They also have a custom built module for the MC5574. I also need to get feedback from them  to determine if they are using the Cradle Detect Pin. I will let you know

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

I am not aware of anyone. But... I always thought " it's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it". But if this will save us a few bucks...

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?