Upgrading WS5100 2.x to 3.x using MSP 2.9

// Expert user has replied.
I Ian Jobson 3 years 4 months ago
1 4 0

All, Does anyone have a Step-by-Step idiots guide for upgrading a WS5100 running 2.x firmware to 3.x firmware using MSP 2.9? Thanks IJ

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

R Rashmi Chandak

Hi IJ,         Find attached a doc we compiled for provisioning of Butterfly (2.x) switches to WiOS (3.x) using MSP. It contains 2 sections: one for upgrading from 2.1.0.0-29R to 3.x and other to upgrade any other 2.x switch. Please go through it and let us know if it helps. Thanks,

J John Eveleth

I don't know of a step by step guide, but the DCP60 User Guide from pages 5-41 through 5-48 explain this process.  A couple of things to keep in mind however:

When importing the .v2 file, the Applicable Device Model is WiNG, Target Firmware is the full version (i.e. 3.2.0.0-040R) and the 2.x versions are selected for upgrade/downgrade
When sending the firmware to a site use FTP sot his will be the method used when you initiate the upgrade.  TFTP can be used, but you run into some TFTP servers that don't support file sizes over 32mb so FTP just eliminates that.
For non WiNG switches, you MUST import your Device Management Profile in order to let MSP know the method and credentials for logging in to the switch via the CLI.  You can export your existing management profiles, edit it and import it to make it easier.
There were some issues with upgrading switches from 2.x to 3.x with DCP60, you will want to install Patch3 and Patch8 prior to doing this.

If you need the patches or user guide you can contact me directly.

C Chris Matheson

Courtesy of Mario Di Pasquo in Support. He and I worked an SPR for one of my customers and this procesdure works for upgrading v2.1.4 ro v3.2.0:  

1.      The WS5100 switch with 2.1.4 needs to be discovered and managed by SEMM and thus in the MSP 2.9 database before the upgrade is launched.

2.      The proper Device Management Profile must be imported into the MSP 2.9 server (including switch password, connection type (Telnet or SSH) and service password (password)).

3.      MSP 2.9 must have DCP-6, patches 3, 8 & 9.

4.      The proper "v2" file from the 3.x CD package (in this case the 3.2 CD) must be imported into MSP's SWDepot and then sent to the proper site. (Proper Target firmware must be selected when importing the firmware for this to work).

5.      Once the job is created, it may take up to 10 minutes for the job to kick off and start executing (in my case, there was only one switch & MSP 2.9 on my hub so it only took 5 mins to start). 

6.      Once completed, the firmware version in the MSP database (MSP Console’s Summary page of the switch) is automatically updated to reflect the upgrade and the new firmware version (no new poll cycle required).

7.      At this point, the “native” device management & polling should apply.

* Note:  The WS5100 login password pre-upgrade, must be 8 characters or more, otherwise, once the WS5100 is upgraded to 3.x, it's password will be reset to "password"

Hope this helps.

I Ian Jobson

Thanks Chris, IJ

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?