Dependant AP5131 and WIPS Sensor....

C Chris Devereux 3 years 4 months ago
1 3 0

Hi all, As an update to an earlier post, anyone know if a Dependant SKU AP5131 can work as a WIPS sensor WITHOUT a switch (I don't care about wireless client access, just the sensor). Senario is, the customer wants to deploy and use WIPS today using the 5131 then will turn on wireless access (AAP) at a later date. So if I spec a dependant mode 5131 now, will the WIPs sensor in the AP work without the switch installed yet? Chris

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

K Kevin Marshall

Chris, Let me provide some additional clarification since I missed this in your orrigional email. Dependent mode APs are intended for AAP only deployments and will not boot without detecting the RF Switch. This is why they are priced lower than the standalone versions. Without an RF Switch a dependent mode AP will not boot and as such no functionality will be provided (Client Services, WIPs, Mesh etc). Your deployment will require the standard version of the AP5131 which can operate independently of the RF Switch and WIPS to function. Regards, Kevin

K Kevin Marshall

Chris, Unlike the AP300 which has a Sensor Image pushed to the AP from the RF Switch, the AP5131 runs the same firmware and has an option in CLI or Web UI to enable sensor mode on each installed radio. As such the AP5131 can operate as a stand-alone AP or AAP until your ready to enable sensor mode on one of the radios. Regards, Kevin

C Chris Devereux

Hi Kevin, Sorry maybe I didn't make it clear. Remember I'm talking about Dependant Mode 5131 SKU only... So if we know that an AAP doesn't work without a switch and the WIPS sensor is integrated into the same firmware on the AP, can I turn on WIPS sensor functionality without a switch in the network?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?