MC75 - accidental clean boots

// Expert user has replied.
P Petr Selinger 3 years 4 months ago
4 32 0

1) 2:30pm /12/04/08

2) 2 days

3) MC7506-PKCSKQWA9WR

4) 1.21.04

5) Case #1785544 + 1778965 We are starting to receive reports from customers using MC75 devices that sometimes the device performs accidental clean boot. It seems that this happens mainly when main and backup battery is empty. Currently we have two customers reporting this issue (France + Germany) and the issue from France was already escalated (potential business for 18.000 units in risk). We are not able to replicate the issue with our lab units so we have sent them a SymScript tool to get some logs from affected devices. Currently we are waiting for a log file and in a mean time I wanted to ask you if you are aware of any issues with MC75 doing accidental clean boots or if you have any idea what else can we try to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks, Petr

Please Register or Login to post a reply

32 Replies

G George Dellaratta

Can we get one of these failed devices sent to Holtsville?

T Tom Lewis

Have you tried repro'ing with dead backup battery?  This was key to repro when we had a similar issue on the MC70.

H Howard Laser

Herbert stated previously " George, thisis now being reported incidental from three theaters, we are not ableto repro in support, but we are sure that partners and ta's dont havecleanps file left on the devices' Dave Dederick  reports his customer has the clean boot files stored within subfolders about 3 levels deep on microSd cards. He says the end users are not aware of these files, and they would not run correctly from the location anyway.

G Gene Niles

All these occurances seem to be staging related. Can we ask or find out if the warm booting is done as a final step?

H Herbert De Jong

Gene, not sure what you exactly mean but for SNCF project they are installing cabfiles where multiple Warmboots are involved. They then convince that terminal behaves and connects ok and leave them like that.

H Herbert De Jong

Default monitor from OEM 21,4  MC75x6 images reporting back on device as 1.07.0585

H Howard Laser

Any updates on this issue?

G George Dellaratta

I haven't seen an answer to my question if the clean boot images are on the device.

H Herbert De Jong

George, Customer is complaining that if devices are staged so custom application is installed. Cab files with customer apps and additional settings commissioned over WAN. Programs installed under Program Files and SD Appcenter cfg is on Application folder left behind and Appcenter is functioning. All is functioning OK at that point. Then device is left a couple days without use, so depleted main battery. Then they either place in powered cradle and power up device or they replace depleted mainbattery with a fully charged main battery. Then device is rebooted , screen calibriation and after that Application folder is back to default. Appcenter is gone and not started , custom app is gone and Wan is not provisioned. So appaerantly a cleanboot blanks was performed.

G Gene Niles

I wonder if this is a resurfacing of SPR 12373. This was an intermittent clean boot issue on the Mc70. It seems the repro for that issue was related to a battery replacement.

G George Dellaratta

Thanks Gene.  Although the symptoms are slightly different in that SPR, the root cause could lead to similar symptoms. Herbert, which version of monitor (IPL) is loaded into one of those failing devices?

H Herbert De Jong

One other small brainstorming idea i had: The commonality seem to be MC75x6 HSDPA devices,  can it be caused by spikes from Modem, Rev A doesnt have supercapacitator and if device is reconnecting to GSM network it is asking different amounts of voltages from the system, depending of type of network connected to and cell connected to. Just a idea...

H Herbert De Jong

One other small brainstorming idea i had: The commonality seem to be MC75x6 HSDPA devices,  can it be caused by spikes from Modem, Rev A doesnt have supercapacitator and if device is reconnecting to GSM network it is asking different amounts of voltages from the system, depending of type of network connected to and cell connected to. Just a idea...

G George Dellaratta

If the clean boot files are not stored on the devices, then they are NOT performing a clean boot.  So, let's go back to the problem definition.  What is the symptom being observed?  Why does the customer feel a clean boot is occurring?

H Howard Laser

George, TA Dave Dederick is also seeing this issue. Conway has deployed 120 MC75 at different sites. They are reporting that a random devices will clean boot about once a week. I have also had other TA's report this happening intermittently to their customers MC75's. (Abell Pest, Service Electric)  So far nobody has been able to reproduce consistently. Is there any way an electrical or hardware failure/condition could cause this?

G George Dellaratta

The clean boot BIN files are required for a clean boot to occur.

H Herbert De Jong

George, this is now being reported incidental from three theaters, we are not able to repro in support, but we are sure that partners and ta's dont have cleanps file left on the devices. Can this be something be related with the not fitting mainbatteries in MC75 backhousings, this is for sure reported from the field, SO that there are voltage spikes can cause a cleanboot ?  or any other suggestions how to investigate or to replicate ? In French we have potential project of 18000 units on risk if they keep encountering this problem in the pilot.

G George Dellaratta

Clean boot can only occur when the clean boot BIN file exists on the device.  Be sure to check that the customer has not left this file in the Application or Temp folders.

A Anthony Ambler

Hi George, I have asked the TA to confirm that there are no clean boot files on any of these units and to get us a sample device with reproduction steps on how to make this happen. We will see if we can get one of these mystery devices and actually verify this issue. Tony

H Howard Laser

I will ask Martin for the cab file. FYI, this is not a widespread issue at this time. I think he has only seen this on 2 devices. The devices do boot to screen calibration.

G George Dellaratta

The only way a device will clean boot is if the CLEANPS.BIN file executes.  I wonder if somehow this file was left on these devices.  Can you also ask to have the two failed units checked to see if this file exists?

A Anthony Ambler

I had a TA from South Africa call me and ask about this issue as they have a customer that is experiencing MC75 units that are clean booting randomly as well. I have asked him to get as much information as possible and also a sample device if available. Tony

G George Dellaratta

Is the customer's application installing itself onto the Application partition or into Program Files?

H Howard Laser

program files.

G George Dellaratta

Hmmm, interesting... Are they getting the screen calibration? Can I get a copy of the CAB file they use to install their APP?

G George Dellaratta

CLEANPS.BIN is required for a clean boot to occur.  Maybe the customer has this file loaded onto the device?

P Petr Selinger

That's a good question. I will ask TA to check with customer if this file is by any chance not loaded on the device. Maybe as a part of customer application installation package.

H Howard Laser

George and Petr, I have a case  from SE Martin Tedman reporting  Abell Pest Control has seen the same behavior on an MC75. They pulled the main battery, allowed backup battery to discharge. Upon  power up , screen required calibration and unit  appears to have been 'clean booted' Lost custom application and Microsoft exchange profile.

P Petr Selinger

Hi George, I have not seen it with my own eyes, but Motorola Technical Architect Philippe Piemont from France told me that.... *******
I do believe this problemis solid I have seen a clean cold boot and blanked terminal but for now I can'tprovide you materials.This problem occurs onlywith terminal that are masterized . That have been sentwithout the main battery (but the backup battery full). This terminals were keptone week in a cupboard.

so the backup battery isdrained and the main battery is full. When they take theterminal, they put the main battery in the terminal and then upon the boot theterminal is totally fresh.
******* The other customer from Germany reported just accidental clean boots, not clean boot & blank. Thanks, Petr

G George Dellaratta

No way can a terminal blank the Application folder by accident.  Someone must install the special "blank" application image.  I suspect that the batteries are draining to the point where a COLD boot may be occurring, not a CLEAN boot.

P Petr Selinger

HI George, I suppose that TA is telling me truth when saying that device did a clean boot and blank and that he knows the difference between cold boot, clean boot and clean boot and blank.

But if we are confident that clean boot and blank cannot occur without installing "blank" application image, is there any explanation for accidental clean booting (as reported by other customer from Germany)?

G George Dellaratta

A clean boot can only occur when a CLEANPS image is run through update loader.  Why do you believe that a clean boot is being performed?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?