MC70 - HOW TO TELL WHICH VCOMM PORTS ARE AVAILABLE FROM BTEXPLORER

// Expert user has replied.
K Kenneth Ryan 3 years 4 months ago
0 2 0

1. 12/9 12:25 PM 2. 3 DAY 3. MC70/MC75/MC55 4. WM 5.0/WM 6.0 5.  1788209 Customer is inquiring what is the "Recommended" and "Safe" way to determine what Virtual COM Ports are available to connect to a remote printer from BTExplorer. In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\STONESTREET1\BTEXPLORER\DEVICE SETTINGS customer found that the UserCOMPorts registry key changes based on the settings in the GUI of what is enabled, which I can confirm. In addition, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\STONESTREET1\BTEXPLORER\DRIVERS, customer found that under SS1VCOMM4 there is a SS1ExDeviceType = 0 that it is a virtual COM Port.  I could not confirm this key present. Customer questions whether this is a safe and reliable method of determining which COM Ports are actively available for Bluetooth Printing, both in ensuring that the COM Port is available and can be used for printer connectivity.  Customer has found COM Ports changed from device to device (MC70 is COM 4, 5, 9; MC55 is COM 5, 9, and 11). Can we confirm the recommended approach to this?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

K Kenneth Ryan

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\STONESTREET1\BTEXPLORER\DRIVERS, customerfound that under SS1VCOMM4 there is a SS1ExDeviceType = 0 that it is avirtual COM Port.  I could not confirm this key present on older versions of BTE (7784) but is present on newer version (24200).  What does this key signify?

D David Meyer

The customer can use the UserCOMPorts key.  This won't tell them if some other application is using that com port, but it sounds like they are a single application, and just looking to figure out a single com port to use. As for the other key mentioned, I would not suggest using it.  It is an internal value for SS1, which is not documented for OEMs.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?