Remote Wipe - WM6

// Expert user has replied.
C Carlo Angelo Padilla 3 years 4 months ago
0 9 0

Canada Post/InnovaPost is asking whether or not Motorola is including or excluding the external memory wipe (SD/miniSD card) as mandatory on any of the WM6 or up devices.  Here's some further info on Remote Wipe:Remote wipe, Windows Mobile 6 — It is known that Microsoft has introduced new device wipe behavior for Windows Mobile 6. The new behavior is for the device wipe command to always wipe external card data. The effect on the data card is that the data is deleted and you need to reformat the card to reuse it. However, including the new behavior is optional for manufacturers and is not present in all Windows Mobile 6 devices. Therefore an Afaria remote wipe command that does not include a command to delete external card data, may result in wiping all external card data if the manufacturer opted to implement the new behavior. Check your device manufacturer's documentation or test your device to know whether your device wipe action includes wiping data cards.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

9 Replies

G George Dellaratta

I get the suspicion that there is a lack of understanding of this functionality.Refer to this article from Microsoft...http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb737595.aspx

C Carlo Angelo Padilla

Thanks for the link.  As per that MSDN documentation, the remote wipe command will delete all data including external storage.  There doesn't seem to be a reference for an option to prevent external storage from being wiped.

C Carlo Angelo Padilla

So does that mean that the device will wipe external data by default or no?

G George Dellaratta

It means that the device has the capability to perform this function if so provisioned.

C Carlo Angelo Padilla

Thanks for the clarification.  I will advise him that by default, a device wipe will not wipe external card data and that the device has the capability of doing so if provisioned.

C Carlo Angelo Padilla

Hi George, sorry, there's currently no case # for this.  The inquiry was sent to me via email from their TA Serge Larose.  The utility they use has a remote wipe feature, however MS introduced a new device wipe behavior in WM6 to always wipe external card data (SD and miniSD in this case), however this behavior is optional depending on the manufacturer.  Their question is whether or not Motorola implemented this behavior or not.

C Carlo Angelo Padilla

I've created a case for this: 9:30AM 2/18/2009 4 HOUR MOTO WINDOWS MOBILE 6 DEVICES BSP21 & UP 1825646

G George Dellaratta

The MC75 has OMA support and the security definitions will allow access.

G George Dellaratta

Angelo, you did not include the header information in your question.  I believe that you are asking if RemoteWipe is included in our Mobile 6.0 products.  Specifically, MC75.  Right?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?