MC7596 Registry Key Validity

// Expert user has replied.
A Anthony Ambler 3 years 4 months ago
0 6 0

1) 2/18/09

2) 4 hours

3) MC7596

4) WM6.0 BSP21

5) 1825628 We have a partner who is using a registry key to disable the phone on the MC7596 but it looks like it it causing other issues as well. The email from the TA is: " The partner is using the following Registry key to kill off the phone application on the MC75.

\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSCPROG

ValueName: 1

ValueData: cprog.exe  change to Empty.exe

Valuetype: REG_SZ (string)

Basicallythey need to prevent the user from accessing the phone.

Theapplication is running in a shell and the Red and Green keys are allowing theusers to break out of the shell and gain access to the OS.

Oneof the affects of using this method that we have noticed, is the Modem does notshow signal level when this reg key is loaded.

Thequestion is what else could this be affecting?

Couldthis reg key interfere with Data connectivity on the modem?

Canwe pass this on to our engineers to comment on the use of this method to killthe Red and Green phone keys?

I have provided them with the Key Remapping tool andmethedology which we normally use to kill the Red and Green phone keys.

I am pushing for them to adopt this method, but they aregoing to want a response as to why they should not use this registry key to dothe job."

I already told the TA this is not a supported method for disabling this functionality. Can someone please add some more comments as to further issues this can cause?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tony

Please Register or Login to post a reply

6 Replies

A Anthony Ambler

Thanks George, exactly what I needed. Tony

G George Dellaratta

Oh, in that case.  Simply remap these two keys to NOTHING.  Use KBTools.

A Anthony Ambler

Hi George, That is the supported solution that we are telling them to use. The account team was looking for some supporting feedback on why the reg key they are using is not a good idea. Their problem is that the partner will ask them for a good reason they should not use this method. Obviously the main reason is it is not supported, but if there is anything else that can be added it would be appreciated. If not, then I will just tell them it is not supported. Thanks again for your feedback. Tony

G George Dellaratta

In that case, the answer is simple. The registry keys under [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell] change the behavior of the Microsoft shell. It allows configuration of the start menu and the display properties, etc.  The behavior of the keyboard sits on top of Microsoft's platform and is the responsibility of the OEM (in this case Motorola).  We provide the KBTools as the mechanism to change the behavior of the keyboard.

G George Dellaratta

This registry key does NOT delete the app.  It merely removes it from the start menu.  This means that it will not launch at startup (including the supporting DLLs).  But, the phone keys can still map to that application.  More importantly, a phone call into the device will load it. What is this customer really trying to do????

A Anthony Ambler

Hi George, They are trying to prevent the users from being able to use the phone via the RED/GREEN phone keys. Thanks, Tony

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?