Thinking out loud

// Expert user has replied.
I Ian Jobson 3 years 4 months ago
0 5 0

All, Just thinking out loud here, I don't have a customer asking for this functionality or even any idea whether it would work but thought I'd throw it out there and see what you thought. I was following a truck home the other day which had a reversing camera on the back and I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if we could connect a reversing camera into the cradle of the MC75 so the driver just had one screen for his sat nav, reversing image, delivery application etc. And then I thought well how about putting a camera on the front as well and then you could use the MC75 as a sort of "Black Box" for the truck, a camera on the front, one on the back, both recording video with to a large (8GB) SD card in the MC75, great for insurance purposes. Anyone have a clue whether that would work or even if it would have a market??? Like I said just thinking aloud ........ IJ

Please Register or Login to post a reply

5 Replies

K Kjell Lloyd

Sorry waking up this thread again...

However I have partner who is asking if VC6096 could support for a rear camera. The reason is that they would like to avoid investigate  both VC6096 and rear camera system.

Has anyone seen or done any solution for this?

I'm hoping for a solution using either wireless or wired based on ethernet then VC6096 could stream the video from the camera using built in windows media player or similar.

The camera Ian Hatton linked to seems interesting to test however I doubt it rugged enough.

J Jeff Hayes

Ian, Cool idea!  If we are doing the "what if's", and I realize my comment would be more appropriate for the VC or Transpo forums, but how about having a front and rear camera integration option for the new VC6096 as well?  Kind of like the police car systems?  Don't know if one system could be designed to be used for multiple MCs/VCs or not.  Seems like it would just be a matter of OS's, screen sizes, and connectivity of the camera system. Just...  Makes sense in the closely monitored realm of the Trucking industry!

R Robert Galvin

Another option could be both  the MW810 or ML910. It  has a built in video in port. I think the MW810 would be more appropriate given it's additional I/O connectors (26 pin connector for ignition sense, vehicle speed/direction, and other data) as well as 80GB hard drive.

E Efkan YILMAZ

Ian,  Interesting idea - from a technical perspective I think it could work as follows: 1. Mount the MC75 in a vehicle bracket so that the integrated camera is pointing forward through the windscreen 2. Mount a wireless IP camera at the rear similar to the one at http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Edimax-IC-1500Wg-Wireless-11bg-Motio… connect it peer to peer to the MC75 3. The MC75 would use a small application to either capture a still shot every few seconds or record video to the SD card (front view) and to receive and store the video/still images from the IP camera (rear view). Processor load may be too high if trying to capture front and rear video at the same time so one may have to be a series of still images.     Should be quite straightforward with the right camera and would not be too expensive to implement. Best Regards, Ian Hatton EMb EMEA

G Gene Niles

check out http://www.livecast.com/ This uses the WAN ability of the mc75 to broadcast videoa and audio to a webserver. Our GPS demo at http://compass.mot.com/go/281910931 shows a sample of this application in action. It's not quite the same as a black box but does help to expose how this could be used.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?