Disable the Power key

// Expert user has replied.
A Afshin Mansoorieh 3 years 4 months ago
6 9 0

does anyone know of a way to disable the power key on an MC75 via a SymScript or some other utility?  we have a customer who wants to keep the units ON all the time (they are kept in a cradle). I saw a similar post with the same question related to the MC70, but it was dated 2006 and there were no replies.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

9 Replies

E Efkan YILMAZ

There is no public API to do this but I think there is something else "hidden". If you modify the registry then you have to warmboot the device for the new setting takes effect. But if you go to the "Misc" tab in the "Power" applet and you check the box "Disable power switch" then the change takes effect inmediatly. So, apart from the change in the registry something else happens to have the power button disabled.

E Efkan YILMAZ

Attached a reg key to do this.  There was a typo in reg key in the other post ("Drives" instead of "Drivers").

A Afshin Mansoorieh

that did the trick.  a quick tap to merge and a warmboot; the power-switch is disabled. and it has no ill effects on warm or cold boot ability. thank you

E Efkan YILMAZ

Also, with the Power applet you can prevent the unit from suspending when it is in the cradle (with external power).

A Afshin Mansoorieh

Paul's sugestion "settings -> power -> Misc" does exactly what I was looking for and it does affect warmbooting ability. However it is not warm or cold boot persistant.  Using rem-capture I tried to find if it makes a change into the registery, but it does not. the "Disable Power Switch" button is probably tied to a Windows API call but I could not find any reference to it on MSDN.  any ideas? afshin

E Efkan YILMAZ

Are you saying that after setting this you could no longer warm boot the terminal from the power key?  This should not be the case.  This should also be both warm and cold boot persistent. The reg key is: [HKLM\Drives\BuiltIn\Power\Settings]        "DisablePwrSwitch"=dword:1 There is no windows API, this is a custom feature. John

E Efkan YILMAZ

Hello Afshin Look under Settings->Power and select the Misc Tab - then check "Disable Power Switch"  This will do what you require. You cannot disable with a script.

K KEN LIM

You just have to bear in mind once you disable the power switch - user will not be able to perform warm boot or cold boot. Thanks ken

E Efkan YILMAZ

Actually that setting only prevents the power key from suspending the terminal from within the OS.  It will not interfere with normal warm/cold boot functionality.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?