The GPRS Class of the MC75 and Network Operations Mode

D Deepthy Menon 3 years 4 months ago
1 2 0

Would someone be knowing which of the following class the MC75 belongs to:

Class A
Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), using both at the same time. Such devices are known to be available today.
Class B
Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), but using only one or the other at a given time. During GSM service (voice call or SMS), GPRS service is suspended, and then resumed automatically after the GSM service (voice call or SMS) has concluded. Most GPRS mobile devices are Class B.
Class C
Are connected to either GPRS service or GSM service (voice, SMS). Must be switched manually between one or the other service.

I need to write some test cases based on the expected behaviour of the device. Also would be of great help if we can understand the behavior of the device, combined with the Class and the Network Operations Mode, which is set by the Operator of the N/W:  Network Operation Mode I
          When the MS is already engaged in a (E)GPRS data transfer, an incoming

GSM call causes the (E)GPRS data flow to be suspended. While the MS is in

Data Session, GSM calls can only be accepted if the network is type NOM I.

Once the GSM call is terminated the (E)GPRS transaction will be resumed.

Network Operation Mode II

The Paging procedure for circuit switched services can not operate by the

Serving GPRS Support Node (SGSN), because a PPCH does not exists in NOM

II. GSM and GPRS-Paging are realized over the conventional PCH. So when

the MS is engaged in (E)GPRS data transfer; User may not receive an

incoming call.

Network Operation Mode III

The Paging procedure for circuit switched services can operate by the Serving

GPRS Support Node (SGSN), because a PPCH exists in NOM III. Packet

oriented services use the PCH and circuit switched services use the PPCH to

perform the paging procedure. PCH and PPCH are located in different

frequency channels and time intervals. Hence MS can perform both Voice call

and Data transfer simultaneously.        

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

S Subramani Jagadeesan

It looks like Class A belogs to 3G and Class B belongs to 2G network... I am not aware of Class C... In order to make the MC75 either 2G only or 3G only or automatic selection, please set the following registry values...
[HKLM/Software/Microsoft/RIL]

Selection2G3G=dword:1

Possible values:

1 - Automatic

2 - GSM only (2G)

3 - UMTS only (3G)

In 2G networks as it allows either data or voice (and not both), I guess the network provider would be operating in NOM II... Hope this helps... Regards, Subbu

j joseph boriotti
CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?