AP-51xx Behavior in case of MU Roaming

// Expert user has replied.
Y Yoshihiro Sato 3 years 4 months ago
2 5 0

Hi

I have the query from the potential customer.Does AP-51xx have something capability to accelerate the wired switch’s FDB database status in case of roaming?

Now AP-5131A is connecting to the wired switch port #10.AP-5131B is connecting to switch port #20.Application server is connecting to switch #30.#MU is associating to AP-5131A and communicating to the application server. (between port #10 and #20)

In this situation, if MU roams to AP-5131B, does AP-5131B notify something to the wired switch to change FDB at the wired switch?If MU does not anything, the wired switch keeps sending the frame to AP-5131A for MU. (Port #10.)

Between AP-5131s, my understanding is WNMP is sent from AP-5131B to AP-5131A.So AP-5131A does not send the traffic to the wireless side as its MU is deleted from MU List.However WNMP is the multicast (right?), it does not seem to affect the wired switch…

So is this situation depends on MU? (such as MU sending the gratuitous ARP.)

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

5 Replies

A Alona Gian

What version of code are you using? If you don't see roam notifications - you should open a support call so we can examine your configuration. Alona

Y Yoshihiro Sato

Hi Alona I can see Roam Notification message as WNMP and syslog. My question is this WNMP(roam notification)'s sorce MAC address is AP, not roamed MU. Is this correct? If so, this message itself does not affect the wired L2 switch to refresh MAC and port database (FDB)..

A Alona Gian

Source MAC is MU MAC.

A Alona Gian

AP sends proprietary packet - MU roam notification which is a multicast to update wired infrastructure Alona.

Y Yoshihiro Sato

Hi AlonaThank you for your input.I understand that WNMP, which is proprietary packet, is sent in case of MU roaming.This notification would affect the wired switch to learn and change that MU’s MAC addresse.(Probabbly not due to the proprietry?)In this scenario, if MU roams, L2 switch which APs are connecting needs to learn the port change from #10 to #20.In my potential customer deal, this MU does not seem to send any packets after roaming..(Motorola MCD sends the gratuitous ARP, so the swired switch change its FDB.)Your clarification would be greatly aprecaited

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?