MC75 Qwerty keypad in Phone program needs orange button

// Expert user has replied.
H Howard Laser 3 years 4 months ago
0 7 0

14:00/06-02-2009 3 day MC75 WM6.1 189751 Here is a difference between the MC55/WM6.1 Qwerty and MC75/WM6.1 Qwerty, that customer is asking for an explanation. Open the Phone program on an MC55/WM6.1 Qwerty. To enter numerics for calling a phone number, simply press the desired key on the keypad. i.e: pres the F or 6 key and a 6 is displayed in the Phone program. Open the Phone program on an MC75/WM6.1 Qwerty. To enter numerics for calling a phone number, you MUST press the orange button first (and twice in succession to lock the numerics).

Please Register or Login to post a reply

7 Replies

G George Dellaratta

It took me a while to understand this but the reason is pretty subtle.  You'll notice that on the QWERTY keyboard for the MC55, the '0' key will generate a '0' only.  So, no matter whether the key state is alpha or numeric you get a 0.  So all of the numeric keys can be mapped properly for the dialer to recognize them. For the MC75, the QWERTY keyboard uses the '0' key to handle the backlight when not in the alpha state.  Well, backlight control is not mapped the same way.  In fact, it's handled differently than all of the other keys so that the system can interpret backlight on/off.  Because of this the dialer won't get the notifications properly and therefore won't be able to interpret the '0' key.  All of the others would work correctly.  But, since the '0' key doesn't then it didn't make sense to include this feature. A hardware as well as a software change is required to implement this feature.  So, MC75 refresh will have this feature added.

H Howard Laser

Thanks, George. So there may be a BSP update to WM6.1 for MC75 that may NOT include this feature, due to there needs to be a hardware change, as will happen in the MC75 refresh? And just to anticipate customers next question, would  you have an ETA or any details on the MC75 refresh? Or should I contact the PM.

G George Dellaratta

That is correct.  From my understanding, the maintenance release team is trying to find a software only solution for the next BSP, but so far no luck. I'm not privy to the schedule for the MC75 refresh, sorry.

H Howard Laser

I do not think its too farfetched to ask why two of our terminals running WM6.1 and offering WAN, we (or Microsoft) would default to numerics in the Phone program on one and not the other. Is this us or Microsoft? This feature is only seen in the Phone program, both terminals Qwerty keypads function identically in other programs. (requiring orange button press for numerics). This speaks to consistency across similar products.

G George Dellaratta

I'm not arguing that.  I'm asking if the customer wants an explanation about the decision to default the keys for each terminal?  Or, if they are asking about something else, like why it needs the double button press to lock in the numberic?

H Howard Laser

What is the explanation for the decision to default to numerics in the Phone program on the MC55 and not the MC75. Is it timing? Is the WM6.1 release on the MC55 'newer' and updated with this feature? Can we say with any surety that future upgrades to the MC75 will include this feature?

G George Dellaratta

They want an explanation about the decision to default the keyboard state for each of the products?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?