MC7596 WAN power off fix posted to support central

// Expert user has replied.
R Robert Galvin 3 years 4 months ago
0 8 0

http://support.symbol.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&ex… The above patch fixes the issue with the WAN radio on the MC7596 powering off randomly.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

8 Replies

E Efkan YILMAZ

Damian,  You can compress the file a small amount - the attached executable file created with Pocket PC Installer is 11.6MB in size and will run the upgrade unconditionally when executed on the MC75. The config check utility is also copied to the \Temp folder to verify the firmware version after upgrade. Best Regards, Ian Hatton EMb EMEA

G George Dellaratta

Perhaps the term "patch" is being used incorrectly in this context.  In actuality this is a new configuration for the WAN modem.  This CAB file reloads the firmware while including new configuration settings into the modem itself.  Yes, it is large, but the nature of the change is such that a full reload can not be avoided. It will NOT be included in a maintenance release.  This change was released to manufacturing so that terminals being built after the release date will already have this change applied.  Also, Cinterion (the modem supplier) has started shipping modems to Motorola manufacturing with this change in place.

D Damian Stock

Team, I did test an installation of this patch over HSDPA today, to one device. The download of the MSP package to the device took around 2.5 minutes. The patch GUI then seemed to stall at 2% complete but, when I went back to the device later, the update had completed successfully and the device was back on the HSDPA network. Technically this patch will install over WWAN but how many customers have data plans that would support this? What data plans do customers typically use for these devices? Any thoughts? Do we need better release notes for this patch? I beleive that we do. Thanks, Damian

E Efkan YILMAZ

Damian, A customer I'm working with is allowed 50 MB per month on their data plan.  We plan on incorporating the firmware update into an OS Update package that will reside on the SD card.  As devices come in to their spare pool, the image will be updated on the card.  We have a SymScript that will check the modem f/w version when a Clean Boot occurs.  If the f/w version isn't current, the script will invoke the CAB file to update the modem f/w. For customers that need to update their devices in the field and are using MSP, SymScript and the f/w check tool included in the f/w CAB download can also be used to check the modem f/w version and push this up to MSP.  MSP can then determine if the f/w update CAB needs to be sent down to the device.  Initially all devices will need to be updated, but I would imagine that we'll be cutting over to the new f/w version in manufacturing sometime soon.  New devices may therefore not need the f/w update which will spare the hit on the cellular data plan. Thanks, Ken

D Damian Stock

Team, Do any of you agree with me that a 17Mb patch is a little ridiculous, especially given that it needs to be deployed to devices that are predominantly running over relatively slow WWAN connections? I have multiple customers that need to deploy this patch to their devices but each one has asked me two questions about this patch. Why is it so large and what is it doing? I understand what it is doing, courtesy of George Della Ratta, but I don't understand why it is effectively half the size of a full O/S update for the MC75. MCD seems to be totally oblivious to the issues associated with deploying such a large patch and it is up to us to raise our concerns so that something is done to address this. If there is nothing that can be done, that is fine but given that the other WWAN radio patches deployed so far have been significantly smaller surely there is something that can be done to minimise the size of this one also. What do you all think? Comments from MCD engineering are very welcome also. Thanks, Damian

H Herbert De Jong

Agree that the GSM modem FW updates are relative big in size. Also the GSM FW date installed inside of the module is not reckognizable from the mobile device GUI. Phone Info only shows the GSM FW version not the actual date of the FW. HC25 module ( inside MC7596 ) This update is a 13 mb USF hex file and needs to be written to the GSM module firmware area in one part. MC75 module ( inside MC70x4, MC9094, MC5574 ) These updates are considerably smaller they are 2,8 mb USF hexfile. Would be great if something could be done about this but think this is by the design of the Cinterion-Siemens modules. In EMEA these GSM FW updates for MC70x4 were a hot topic in the past in regards with Field updates being to complicated , you have to determine Rel2 or Rel3 FW as well manually. And the fact of not being able to reckognize easily from the device which date is inside the module. Since 2008 it is mandatory in repair to bring all MC75 Rel2 modules to November 2007 version FW level, so a lot of customers cycle device to repair depot because of this.

A Andrew Wood

Damian, I completly agree, 13.5mb is far too large to call a patch. I have three customers that need this update - I had the conversation with two of them yesterday and will speak with the third later today - so far the feedback has been very negative. The only realistic way to deploy such a large file is to visit each device with an SD card and with several hundred units across these three customers the logistics are; at the very best a headache, at worst; it will not get deployed. I dont suppose that this "patch" made its way into our WM6.1.4 release did it? Andy

R Robert Galvin

Just to be clear this patch is not a 'Hot Fix' - it is officially supported software release and falls under the 'normal' official software policiesFor those who are wondering it was SPR 16486

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?