CN50 and Intermec FUD

T Tariq Hasan 3 years 5 months ago
0 3 0

We recently (for the second time) encountered Intermec and CN50 in a large opportuinity where they positioned CN50 againt the MC55. here is how they describe the CN50: I ntermec CN50 Rugged Mobile Computer, Colour QVGA Display, 128 MB DRAM, 512 MB Flash ROM, Dual Core Processor (528 MHz ARM 11 & 5128 MHz ARM 9) and 2 DSP Processors, Windows Mobile 6.1, QWERTY (or NUMERIC) Keypad, BlueTooth Class 2, Integrated 2D EA21 Area Imager (with optional eMDI), Wi-Fi 802d, UMTS HSUPA (3.5G or 3.75G), 3.1 MegaPixels Auto Focus Camera, GPS.One Stylus Pen. Order Battery Pack Separately.
The impression they give the customer is that the CN50 has 2 processors in addition to the DSP processors and in that way is superior to the Motorola device which according to our data sheets has one processor! We need to counter this and provide additional information on the architecture of our devices. Can some help me draft a fitting reply to this FUD from Intermec?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

E Efkan YILMAZ

Tariq,  I think we could also justifiably claim to have a multiprocessor architecture in the MC75 and MC55 i.e. the main PX270 ARM processor , the power microcontroller and the ARM processor which is used in the GSM module from Cinterion. We may also have another ARM processor (or similar) in the imager engine if it is installed. Best Regards, Ian Hatton EMb EMEA

A Alexandre Silva

Tariq check the Competitive Positioning folder on this link: http://compass.mot.com/go/268800452

L Luis Rios Chiquete

Citing xda-developers:
"In fact, you get two "general purpose processors" in the SoC: the main ARMV11 running the main OS (WM in our case) and a second ARM926 processor running the radios...

The difference is that this second "general purpose processor" is extremely tailored for the functions it has to deal with. All it has are plenty of connections to various radio hardware devices and a high speed connection to the main processor (ARM11). It hardly could be used for anything else than handling wireless connectivity.

In a multicore CPU, all cores share the same set of devices, so any core can perform any of the functions required for the OS to run. In this "multi-module" CPUs, each core has a different set of devices to deal with, and each core has a specialized role to perform.

Just like the megapixel race (where more pixels means more quality right??) and the megahertz race (but your CPU has less cycles, how can it POSSIBLY process more??), you are falling for marketing."http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-486255.htmlIf that is not enough we can elaborate on the fact that Windows Mobile 6.x does not support multi-core architectures (in the Intel traditional sense, two or more processors handling the OS functions).- Luis

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?