TA Feedback Requested - MC55 RAM Disk

// Expert user has replied.
R Rob Fitton 3 years 5 months ago
0 3 0

On the MC55 Terminal:

1. How many people use the RAM Disk?

2. How many people set the RAM Disk up to persist across a cold boot?

Thank you and kind regards,

Rob Fitton

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

G Gene Niles

I believe anyone using the browser uses it and may not even know it. We also see customers that use it for performance reasons with database centric applications. If Persistence accross warm boot is on, data loss concern is not as great due to low battery suspend behaviour but is something that does get raised (and worked around).

H Hector Meza

Most my customers do not use a RAM disk – most are not even aware that they can set a RAM disk up. If the application is generic so it runs across multi vendor platforms, a RAM disk is probably not going to be used. If the application is targeted for a Motorola device and has had performance issues, then the RAM disk does surface. The majority of cases I have seen that needed a RAM disk were for those applications that went form PPC2003 to WM5 and had a big performance hit. Most applications are now more WM5 – 6 focused so they are better suited to handle the performance and memory architecture and are not in need of a RAM drive.  Developers that have older application try to minimize coding efforts will try to leverage a RAM drive so they don’t have to invest too much time in figuring out how to optimize their code.  I guess the request for feedback on MC55 RAM disk is to determine if we need to support one?  YES!  We will always have an application that is not optimized and the customer does not have the ability to change or request changes to code.  The old message that always seems to come up is - We do not seem to have a performance issue with your competitors device (often they have a RAM disk setup).HM

K Kjell Lloyd

1. How many people use the RAM Disk?
Most developers I meet usually uses the memory card for database storage and some even runs their application from the memory card also. Simple reasons: 1. Avoid device specific solutions 2. To be able to rescue  the saved data if device is broken. 3. RAM Disk is/has been to limited in size.
2. How many people set the RAM Disk up to persist across a cold boot? Not aware of anyone doing this. Is it possible?.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?