RFMS starting as a service

// Expert user has replied.
P Philippe Soirot 3 years 5 months ago
0 5 0

RFMS 3.3 was supposed to support automatic service startup and stop modes instead of manual batch. Batch mode is still there in RFMSV3.3. ==> Do we have an idea of a roadmap to support service startup ? Question is reported by a partner who has installed RFMS 3.3. His customer is using VWMARE to run RFMS server, and to open session to start RFMS is a PB. leaving an opened session is a PB. They will try the workaround to start RFMS batch in a scheduled task starting with server("When my computer starts") and not with the session. However they will still have a pb to stop RFMS when the server is going to shutdow. They can see database corruptions errors because of brute stop of RFMS session. Services would really make the product more designed for real production environments  

Please Register or Login to post a reply

5 Replies

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

After investigating a bit, I found that java has a known bug that makes it not ignoring that parent console (cmd.exe) is closed (in windows' terms). The workaround is using the switch -Xrs. I did so and it worked: those processes now "survive" asynchronous logon-logoff on the console. Yet, apache still does not. This is known anyway, since it is expected and documented apache's behaviour. If you don't want apache to die when closing its console, run it as a service. But RFMS would not work this way; and there is nothing one can tweak there, apache being invoked from within a compiled java module (I fathom). I will raise a Brno case then.

H Herbert De Jong

this attached document came from PM about RFMS starting as a service.

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

I will try this. Anyway in Spanish Post, Windows tasks scheduler is disabled for "security reasons" (they say). Method I suggested (SRVANY) works... until you logon on the console and then logoff. In this moment SRVANY and its child cmd.exe survived, but the rest of the children died (java, cmd, apache, etc). I will test this very same logon-logoff with the "official" method and will let you know what happens. Because once started, RFMS must not die just because somebody logs in for a while.

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

Bad news. After restaring the server, it starts fine. I can connect on port 9090 from my PC. And work, of course. Then I log on the server's console as admin. I see (with procexp.exe, a invaluable tool) that svchost spawns a cmd.exe that in its turn spawns all of RFMS processes (except apache). But after logging off, I can not connect anymore from my PC. I log back, then I see that the only child of svchost is a cmd.exe. Apache is dead too. Exactly the same behaviour than using SVRANY. In this case, "service" Svrany and its child cmd are the only survivors. Herbert, could you please just test it? Dank u wel!

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

Salut Philippe, I had exactly the same issue at Correos (Spanish Post). Inspired on this I managed to have it working as a service (well, actually starting as a service. I still have to use the bat to really stop it, but that's OK for Correos). Pls find attached a zip to be unzipped on C:\ (mandatory) which contains an installer and an uninstaller. The only few things you still have to consider: 1) where is cmd.exe on the server (and accordingly change on the reg file before installing) 2) manually remove the starting bat on startup. I would have done on the bat but I simply ignore how to handle this in other languages (I guess there is a variable for this, but... ). Of course, test before use.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?