How do I determine if I am running on a Motorola device

M Mark Kronenberg 3 years 5 months ago
7 1 0

Is there a way to determine if I am running on a Motorola device? I am currently using the MC55 and MC70 but I want my software to be able to be used for future devices without requiring any changes. I would prefer to find a way other than using the registry (ie. a call, the existance of a folder or file, etc.); however, if there is not a way then what should I look for in the registry? Thanks, Mark

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

E Efkan YILMAZ

In C++, you can use the Microsoft API's GetVersionEx() and SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETOEMINFO, ,) to obtain both the OS Version and the OEM String from the Operating System.  You can look up these API's in MSDN to obtain more information about their usage. SystemParemtersInfo() returns the OEM String.  This is the string that you see when you access the "Settings->System Info" control panel applet.  On the System Tab, this is the "OEM NAME".  This, coupled with the OS Version returned by GetVersionEx() will allow you to determine both the model (MC55, MC9090, etc.) and the OS Version (CE5.0, WM5.0, WM6.0, etc) for our devices.  Other manufacturer will use a different OEM String.  If you are using the Compact Framework version 3.5 or later, use the WinCEPlatform Enumeration.  For earlier versions of the Compact Framework, you'll need to use managed code to call SystemParaemtersInfo().  See   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms229660.aspx  for sample code and more information. In general, Motorola's OEM String will start with either "Motorola" or "Symbol" and then  append the device type.  This applies to all current devices, but there is no guarantee that Motorola won't change the format of the OEM String in the future.  Thus, you should only look for the most generic information possible in the string.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?