GSM Cell roaming selection

// Expert user has replied.
I Ian Jobson 3 years 5 months ago
0 1 0

All, If we have a GSM based device, e.g. an MC75, how is the roaming decision made? Is it purely based on signal strength or does connection speed, load etc come into it? My reason for asking is one of my customers would like to know whether, if a unit can see a weak 3G signal and a strong 2G / 2.5G connection, will it base its decision on the potential maximum throughput, the real received signal strength or some funky combination of the two (+ others) Thanks IJ

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

H Herbert De Jong

Ian, 2G or 3G selection is done based on the coverage of the provider being used and its coverage and availalbility of either 2G or 3G in the specific area's. It is not taking into account any throughput preferences of the handset in that process. When the handset is registered it is constantly comparing signal strenght of Base stations either 2G or 3G and will make its decision based on that. Also providers can force handovers either seamless or non seamless to GSM or UMTS. By using the 2G3G regkey you can however force the MC7596 to stay connected to 3G network only for example. But you can run into coverage problems in rural area's as the device then will not be able to fall back to a 2G network.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?