WM6.1 Memory Requirements

// Expert user has replied.
P Peter Arcuri 3 years 5 months ago
0 2 0

This message is directed to those of you who has the pleasure to work with high demanding customers with low resourced equipment. We have a customer with 13k MC7094 64/128 running WM5.0 with plans to upgrade to WM6.1. Well, lo and behold they’ve recently come to the realization that WM6.1 out of the box reserves ~20Mb more physical memory then its predecessor. Thanks to Gene Niles’ ESCG phenomenal work, we managed to set the customer on the right track by suggesting 2 techniques, which are to use page pool size and reduce the cash disk. Although the customer managed to recover most of the lost memory, there is still some apprehension which leads to the following questions:

Has Motorola published a paper or announcement highlighting memory requirements for WM6.1 and WM6.5?   

Have any Motorola customers encountered the above-noted challenge and how did they overcome it? (The simple answer would be to upgrade physical memory but that, in this case, would be cost prohibited.)

What does Motorola recommend as a minimal margin of free memory after the application is loaded while maintaining reasonable performance?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

G Gene Niles

just to close this topic out. Here is where I recall leaving this with Peter: The suggeston I gave is to use a program like emScript to see what the "effective" memory foot print of his customer is on the current OS. To do this, he would simply run the customer's application through it's paces and look for a max number and then provide some (subjective) margin for growth. If the free memory on the new OS is too tight, they can look into things like reducing the cache disk or modifying the application(s) to kill any unneeded background runs. I don't have the exact numbers but I do recall WM6 increasing in both storage and RAM usage. The best way is to simply run it to get a ballbark on the differences.

G Gene Niles

Hi Peter, I'm not sure how much we talked about this but the last point would be somewhat subjective. When you got some time let's talk. THanks, Gene

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?