SS1 unable to assign Com port after MS security policy applied.

// Expert user has replied.
H Herbert De Jong 3 years 5 months ago
4 6 0

1) Time/Date 7/1/2010

2) Response time  3 days

3) Product  MC75

4) OS Version  OEM 35 BTE 2.1.1.26932

5) Clarify Case # 2044222 Customer uses SS1 and BT Serial Port connection to OfficeJet H470 succesfully. But after setting up Email sync with MS Exchange 2007 a security policy is applied and reboot needed. after that the device can still discover BT devices , add BT devices but cannot assign a Com port to the BT printer anymore. Error window from SS1 = "Unable to connect with remote device.  Unknown error code" after some investigation of Partner they found the MS Security Policy being applied as follows: ( from screenshot Default Properties - Device Tab  from MS Exchange ) Allow removable storage allow camera allow wifi allow IR allow internet sharing from device allow remote desktop from device allow synchronisation form a desktop Allow Bleutooth  =  Allow choosen. after the boot they see the following registry changes on MC75
After the reset, some registry keys are added for BT:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Stonestreet One\BTExplorer\Device Profiles]
"Disallowed5" = "14, |IrMC Synchronization 1|, 6, 31, 0"
"NumberDisallowedProfiles" = dword:00000005
"Disallowed4" = "11, |Hands-Free Audio Gateway|, 28, 0"
"Disallowed3" = "0, |Serial Port 1|, 10, 11, 57600, 0, 3"
"Disallowed2" = "15, |AVRCP|, 1, 0"
"Disallowed1" = "12, |A2DP|, 1, 0, 0"
It looks like that this Policy disabled the SS1 allowed profiles, despite that BT is allowed on the policy they also state that applying this Policy on a MS smartphone supposebly with MS BT stack there is no problem. can this be some incompatibility with Policy and our SS1 BT stack. Any thoughts how to overcome this ?   

Please Register or Login to post a reply

6 Replies

K Kenneth Ryan

Yes....though I dont know why Microsoft does this in the first place.

K Kenneth Ryan

I dug this out: SS1 mentioned the following: They could just manually add the registry keys back in after the first connection to exchange. Just extract the settings of that key before connecting to exchange, and then create a reg file, and merge the file after the first exchange connection. So, per them do a export of the registry keys under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\NetworkPolicy\Bluetooth\AllowedProfiles] so you have the keys before they are deleted, and then re add by creating a reg file and merging them after the first exchange connection.

H Herbert De Jong

thanks Ken   adding the exporting the regkey after the policy is applied sounds like the solution indeed.

K Kenneth Ryan

Look at SPR 17390.

H Herbert De Jong

Ken thanks, 17390 is indeed same issue didnt found it yet. but it is recommending to check Email Security settings on customer site. in this case they are allowing BT on the Security Policy and MS BT stack device are OK. so is there any guidance to allow SS1 BT stack devices with a Security Policy or is this just a incompatibility issue from MS with SS1

K Kenneth Ryan

If you dig into case  1915329 I believe I had a workaround for this issue there.  Let me know if its not clear.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?