DHCP on 4-slot MC55 Ethernet Cradle

// Expert user has replied.
C Clayton Moore 3 years 5 months ago
27 3 0

Can someone explain how the MC55 gets a DHCP address when placed in the 4-slot ethernet cradle?  Support told me the MC55 ethernet cradle acts the same as the MC70 ethernet cradle - the device will get a different DHCP address in each cradle slot.  This is because the MAC address from the cradle is being used. My customer is just trying a MC55 and 4-slot ethernet cradle and claims the DHCP address on the device is the same no matter which slot it is in.  Which is more like a pass-through. Which is normal behavior? Thanks, Clayton

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

K Kenneth Rivalsi

The MC55 4 Slot Ethernet board is the exact same board as is used for MC75, MC70, MC3100, MC3000 and MC50. Assuming you/customer are using DHCP (not fixed IP), it works they was you said "Support" described it.  The MAC address is physically attached to the Slot.  Therefore any Terminal dropped in that slot would typically get that slot's IP address.  I have a more detailed description of DHCP in our environment.  If you'd like it, drop me an email. Note: There are software mechanisms that can change this behavior bit I don't think we have ever employed them.  Ken Rivalsi BFC467

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

Talking about MC55 ethernet quad-slotted cradle... Has anyone experienced issues with them? With MC55? With MC65? Things like having some slots providing connectivity and power to terminal's battery, others not doing?

A Alan Livingston

The software mechanisms that Ken referred to have been deployed by a few customers. The actual mechanism is to change the value that the DHCP server uses to identify each terminal.  By default, the terminal's network adapter MAC address is used.  Since the ethernet cradle has different MAC addresses for each slot, the IP address is fixed to the slot, not the terminal. This behavior can be changed by using a .reg file to change the client-identifier DHCP option (option 61) for the terminal.  Each terminal would need to be populated with a .reg file containing a unique ID.  It's not a simple implementation for a customer with a large terminal population. This issue has come up a number of times and Support is able to provide guidance for the solution.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?