MSP 3.3 Provisioning Stalled

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
0 5 0

Hi Everyone, Just wondering if anyone has seen something similar before I go ahead and call in a case... I've run across a scenario a couple times now where MSP Provision packages seem to get hung up after being activated.  On the Compliance Summary screen, every field shows a status of "Processing" that never clears out.   - Activating/Deactivating the policy appears to have no effect.   - The hangup doesn't appear to be related to the contents of the policy - any active policies are hung up (regardless of what bundle steps it contains).  - Hangup doesn't seem to be related to MU type (e.g. I've seen on MC70, MC9090WM6, MC9090CE, etc).  - Restarting MSP Server doesn't have any effect.  - Using a new VM image and reinstalling MSP from scratch did make the problem disappear for a while, but am now seeing it again...  - Staging (via barcodes or on-demand) bundles work fine. Using MSP3.3.0.2400 running in a VM Win2003 Server image.  Freshly reinstalled to brand new Server image (twice now). Any suggestions greatly appreciated!  Just hoping to avoid having to rebuild yet another VM instance... Thanks, Mike

Please Register or Login to post a reply

5 Replies

E Edward Rowlance

Page 6 of the 3.3 Install Guide lists a minimum of 2GB of memory for MSP. 

A Andrew Knight

Mike, Can you do a Diagnostic Export of your MSP system and attach or send me the resulting zip file? For info on how to get the Diagnostic Export, please see Pg 21 of the 3.3 Administration Program Guide. Thanks

E Efkan YILMAZ

Thanks for the suggestions!

I suspect my problem was related to a lack of available memory in my VM (so, apparently 384MB is not enough? ;)  After increasing this value, I haven't been able to recreate the lockup.

Thanks again,

Mike

E Efkan YILMAZ

Looks like going into the MSP Admin utility and stopping then restarting all services did the trick... (even as restarting the entire VM would not!)

Thanks to Russ Piland for his suggestion!

Thanks,

Mike

A Allan Herrod

Mike; 1. Have you checked your event viewer for MSP errors?  Were there any?  I would be especially interested in any errors related to the database, such as SQL request timeouts, etc. 2. Are you running in a VM with at least the minimum amount of RAM (2GB) allocated to it? 3. Is this running on a laptop that is busy doing other things and/or has a hard disk that needs defragmentation? I have seen that in cases where MSP is run on a VM that is under-performing, that things can slow down and requests to SQL can timeout, leading to cascades of issues.  Stopping and restarting the services can help because it makes them try again.  Restarting the VM may not work as well since SQL has to restart as do the services and everything may not be ready in time.  All of these things seem to happen only on a VM that is under-performing compared to the minimum hardware on which MSP is certfiied to run.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?