Display Chinese data on WinCE device

// Expert user has replied.
A Allan Uecker 3 years 5 months ago
2 2 0

I have a need to display data in Chinese on an MC9090 running WinCE 5.0. I am told this data is coming through the browser in Chinese but does not display correctly on a standard MC9090. We have localized versions of Chinese for Windows Mobile, but not WinCE.  Has anyone had experience in this area that may be able to shed some light on this?  Is a localized version required for this or are there other options to accomplish the same thing since we do not have a localized version for WinCE?  Thanks in advance.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

A Arsen Bandurian

I'm not an expert in Chinese, but for other languages the procedure is usually like this: * copy \windows\wince.nls from your localized WM device to your CE device * copy necessary fonts if they are not there * use nice \Application\*.cpy file to keep "localization" persistent.

E Efkan YILMAZ

Allan, My answer is based on the custom Telnet client which is used by one of my clients that runs on the 9090G (CE 5.0).  This client supports the display of Chinese data and is deployed in China. The 9090G does not support Chinese unless there's a localized version or you write custom code for a couple of reasons. First, the 9090G doesn't support the code page for Chinese (CP 950 - Chinese Big5).  This is used to "translate" the incoming (encoded) byte stream from the server to Unicode.  The server may also used GB2312 (CP 936).  Those are the two main Chinese Encoding formats. The 9090G also doesn't have a font which will display Chinese characters.  We used PMingLiu, which is installed as part of the package with the TelNet Client.  A quick way to test PMingLiu is to copy the PMingLiu.ttf file on your laptop to the \Windows directory on your handheld.  Warm boot the device and voila - you now have access to the Chinese font - as long as your code allows you to select fonts. If you choose custom code, you'll need to incorporate the latter items into the design.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?