Media converter interoperability

// Expert user has replied.
M Matthieu Dierick 3 years 5 months ago
3 4 0

Hi team, I'm looking for feedback regarding media converter fiber to copper. Have ever seen or installed or tested this kind of converter? I have to convert fiber to copper because AP will be over 100 meters away from the LAN switch. Many thanks for your prompt help :-) Matt

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

A Arsen Bandurian

If you have access to PBN solutions in your country - you could sell some XLP's instead. It works over cooper (cheaper) and provides PoE, so, instead of powering 3 additional devices (2 converters and AP injector) you power just one. Not mentioning additional revenue and the glorious one-stop-shop story :) Daran Hermans and your WNS TA are the points of contact.

M Matthieu Dierick

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your prompt answer. Which vendor do you use? Transition System only or mixed vendors?

Regarding failure point to the system you encountered, what was the problem? 

Matt

N Nikolaos Mastorakos

Matt, I have used such device several times in the past. It just a media converter between fiber and ethernet. One thing to make sure is the type of fiber connectors used as there are more than one types (ST, SC etc) and the type of fiber used (single mode or multi mode). Allied Telesis is a brand I can suggest...

J Jack Burleson

We have many thousands of fiber - copper media converters installed at a major customer on AP's.  We have experienced no issues with them - although it adds another failure point to the system that requires support.   There are some media converters available from Transition Networks that will also supply 802.11af POE over the copper link - allowing you to power your AP without an external in-line power injector.   We have utilized long-runs of low voltage DC (48 volts) carried on a 16/18 gauge shielded twisted pair cable pulled along with the fiber to power the media converter which then powers the AP. We have found it is easier to troubleshoot if the media converter system you utilize supports "link pass thru" which causes the fiber to link to go up/down when the copper side (AP) ethernet link goes up/down.  This is not a requirement - but makes it slightly easier to troubleshoot problems.  All media converters that we have used have utilized multi-mode fiber - so I can't speak to single-mode fiber. You may also want to investigate the Motorola T3 Optical systems (sold thru WNS group) - as they can provide some fairly high speed ethernet connections with 802.3af power over some > CAT5 cable lengths on telephone wire.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?