WiFi Hotspots for Cellular Carriers

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
0 2 0

Hi, I have detected in South Cone of Latin America opportunities to sell wifi hotspots based on RFS7000 and AP300's. Cell carriers are experiencing a big growth in wireless traffic (mainly 3G) which they can completely satisfy, and causing disruption in their air networks. The way they think to unload the air is passing some traffic by wifi, as many customers have dual phones (3G and WiFi), specially in spaces where users can concentrate in high quantities, like bars, restaurants, hotel lobbies etc. So using their cabled backbone and AP300´s, much traffic could be conducted through an RFS7000 cluster and authenticated by EAP-SIM in their RADIUS. Do we have other telcos already using that approach?. Could be used as reference to other? Do we have any architectural example of a deployment? Regards, Gustavo,

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

S Stephen Tait

We are in mid proposal for similar solutions in the UK.  We have avoided EAP sim on the first phase due to its complexity.  If you want details on EAP sim let me know I can forward a white paper which explains whats involved. Although we dont have hardware in place Motorola manage, write alot of the device authentication process and maintain BT Openzone in the UK.  If you could use any information on what we do for Openzone let me know Steve

A Arsen Bandurian

I have done a demo for one of our Telco's using RFS6000 & AP300 (AP300 with static IP). Yet, we didn't do stress testing and EAP-SIM, it was merely proof-of-concept with MSCHAP. The max throughput of a single RFS7000 is around 4gig of traffic. Scale accordingly. Hope this helps. :)

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?