GPS Multiplexer

// Expert user has replied.
A Aleksandr Dekhtyar 3 years 5 months ago
0 8 0

Customer report the following: **********************************
We have identified a registry key in BSP 35 on the MC55 and MC75 that causes total havoc with certain programs trying to access GPS data on Com 8.

The key is \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer and all subkeys.

If this key is present, software such as SOTI and CXT seem to get confused and lose communication to the COM port.  This results in devices not being able to be tracked as required by many of our customers.

The values found in the Subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice have a .dll and several values listed.  I am not sure if these are not compatible with the GPS Firmware update 3.5 or what.  I can say that upon removal of the entire Multiplexer key and all Subkeys, the device was Warm Boot and the GPS data was immediately available to SOTI and CXT.

SOTI discovered this issue with Action Couriers, however we have at least 3 additional customers that are affected. **************************************************** Any comments are welcome

Please Register or Login to post a reply

8 Replies

B Brian Safran

Alex:  I applied the patch on 2 MC7'5s running BSP 27. One had SOTI installed and the other did not. On the one with SOTI installed, the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer had one Entry of DriverInterface. There was no value for it. For the one without SOTI installed, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer had no subkeys. I installed it 2 times but stillt he Driverinterface key was present on the one with SOTI. There is no value in DriverInterface so this might not be an issue. I will test both units for the next few days.

A Andrew Wood

Alex, Will you please post the result of the conversation with ECRT. Andy

G George Dellaratta

These registry keys are in use at all times and can not be changed or deleted.  The only method I've found to remove them is by creating a REG file that removes these keys (use '-' in front of the key in question) and then sett the SKIPCOPY registry key to a 1 and warm boot.

A Aleksandr Dekhtyar

Unfortunately I can only modify some of the values, but not to remove as you described. I get permission error. Need help to build the cab to remove an unnecessary keys and reboot? Thank you.

C Chi Zhang

You can go to Start->Settings->System->'External GPS'; select 'None' as the GPS program port, select 'COM8' as the GPS hardware port; make sure that the "Manage GPS automatically" is checked in the 'Access' page. Again, in the coming new BSP, this setting will be different. Please verify whether the wrong reg settings you talked about is out of box. If yes, you should open an issue with ECRT team to ask them fix it in BSP.

A Aleksandr Dekhtyar

Yes, the wrong key is set out of the box. And External GPS already set the way you described. Yet the multiplexer key interfere with their application. I will discuss with ECRT the best way to resolve it.

C Chi Zhang

Did the customer see this on the CDMA/EVDO device or GSM/EDGE device? If it's CDMA/EVDO device, then this issue is mostly caused by the reg key provided by our WWAN vendor to test their built-in GPS. Our Product maintenance team should clean out this key in their build. If it's BSP35 and before the right reg settings should be: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers] "CurrentDriver"="GMX" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GMX] "CommPort"="COM8:" "Baud"=dword:0000E100 "InterfaceType"="COMM" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer] "DriverInterface" = "" Please note that in the about-to-be-released maintenance BSP. The right reg setting will be: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers] "CurrentDriver"="GMX" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GMX] "CommPort"="COM2:" "Baud"=dword:0000E100 "InterfaceType"="COMM" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer] "DriverInterface" = "COM8:" In the future BSP, the COM8 will support multiplexing (more than one application can access COM8 simultaneously).

A Aleksandr Dekhtyar

I just reconfirm this with the customer and they see this issue on both GSM and CDMA devices. MC7508 and MC5574

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?