MT20X0 battery charging issue

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
1 8 0

All, I have a customer that is using the MT2090 with the STB2000.  The battery appears to charge up to 24% only.  It will stop charging at that point.  He is ordering a new battery to see if that is the issue. We connected the USB cable to the MT2090 directly and still saw that same charge issue.  The issue appears to be with either the MT or the battery itself.  The battery date is Dec 2009.  Have any of you seen a similar issue?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

8 Replies

C Corinne Nogueras

Yes, the 12V power supply is being used with the STB2000. Thanks for all of the insight.  I will update this once the new battery is received.

C Corinne Nogueras

The end user has ordered another battery.  I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.  If the new battery doesn't charge, then there is an issue with the MT2090 and I will need to see what can be wrong with it.

M Mike Faith

While it's possible there is a problem with this particular battery, there exits a condition on the MT2090 that when charging using USB or Powered RS232 cable that the battery can actually discharge rather than charge.  This is due to extra current draw attributed to the WLAN radio. Also, there is an ambiguous condition on the MT where a fully charged battery and a battery that is discharging due to excessive current draw while the charger is on both report the same UI LED and Battery Icon status. We opened SPR 18529 to track this ambiguous state. For general practice to minimize current draw, I would suggest that if you are charging an MT2090 via USB or Powered RS232 cable that you make sure you are associated with a wireless network with good signal strength, or turn off the WLAN radio while charging and allow the backlight to time out under external power while charging. Do they have the 12V power connected to the STB2000?

L Li Chen

The Battery Status screen shows "Charging: Yes" when there is current going into the battery. (I just checked with an MT2070 unit for that) Therefore, even with a USB cable connected, if there no current going into battery, "Chargin: No" will show up in the Battery Status screen.

M Mike Faith

Is the 12V power cable connected to the STB2000 when charging the MT2090?

C Corinne Nogueras

The unit should still indicate that it is charging in the battery status though.  This unit comes up with charging 'NO' in the STB2000 or with the USB cable connected.  We do refresh multiple times as well.  It did charge from 3% up to 24% and then it stopped.

L Li Chen

Did you try another battery to see if the behavior is different?

L Li Chen

THe MT2090 consumes more current than MT2070. When it is connected to USB cable, which has maximum charging current of 500mA, there might not be lot of current going into battery. If your customer does not connect 12V in STB2000, the same thing will happen that the battery actually does not get much charge over the time.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?