wireless client density

// Expert user has replied.
A Afshin Mansoorieh 3 years 5 months ago
0 2 0

we have a customer who operate close to 1,000 wireless clients (automated robots) in a 30,000 squre foot facility. the wireless backbone is RFS7000 (primary/backup) and about 30 AP300s. everything runs great. the reason for this post is to get a gage of what we have installed in the field as far as client density and find out if is this site's density is common, uncommon, rare or the only one.  I would like to be able to share the feedback (no names of course) with our customer. if you have or know of, high density deployments please share your experince and details. thanks, afshin

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

M Michael Holman

Hey Afshin, I have a site in MD that has over 500 robots (Kiva w/B only radio) in a fairly small section of their very large DC. I am not sure of the square footage but could ask if you need it. They have been running RFS7000 (prim/stndby) (first in the US I think) and (30) AP300s since August 2007...upgraded from WS5100. It was running 1.3 code (original release) until just recently. Now running 4.2 and running even smoother. In addition to the robots they have hundreds of 9060, 4090, 9090 and even some 6946 may still be plugging along but these are spread out over much larger areas.

O Oliver Wolff

Afshin, we were supporting Chaos Computer Club with wireless infrastructure for their famous Chaos Communication Congress in Berlin for the third time in a row end of last year. http://events.ccc.de/congress/2009/wiki/Supporters The size of the event Center should be roundabout the same as your customer's. They had more than 2.000 Clients of various types online wireless at the same time with less than 30 AP300s in 2008, last year we provided 802.11n APs. In four days they sucked 123 TB (!) out of the Network. Feel free to google and talk about it. There is no problem in mentioning the name of CCC. BR Oliver

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?