MC3090 Battery failures

// Expert user has replied.
I Ian Jobson 3 years 5 months ago
3 2 0

All, I have a customer with a reasonable number of MC3090s deployed using the 2x battery. They have only been out in the estate for 6 - 9 months and yet they are experiencing a high failure rate with broken retaining clips and torn "Pull tags". I've not seen this kind of pattern with other customers so I suspect it is down to operator misuse, however, I thought I'd reach out to the team and see if anyone else is experiencing similar problems. Note these are 2x batteries only, being used on MC3090 brick devices so there shouldn't be any issues with getting the batteries out (no handle in the way). Thanks IJ

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

A Al Henneborn

We have released new 2X MC3000 batteries with improved battery clip (spring loaded) and EOL'd MC3000 2X batteries with plastic battery clip (see PMB 1803). This new MC3000 2X battery still includes the mylar pull tab (used to disengage the battery clip because the handle interferes with accessing clip with your finger).  Broken battery clips on old 2X batteries are typically caused by users pushing clip in opposite direction of intended travel (pulling clip away from battery housing).  The mylar pull tabs should be dressed (placed flat on pack) before installing battery door to avoid mylar crumpling (technical term).  The mylar tabs are pretty strong and breakage can typically be considered abuse because the force required on mylar pull tab to disengage the battery clip is minimal.  We have seen instances where end users mistakenly characterize the pull tab as performing the same function as what they experience on printer ink cartridges.  End users have been known to remove the pull tab and install battery.  The adhesive from the mylar pull tab then secures to the MC3000 bottom housing battery well making it very difficult to remove.  All mylar pull tabs include the following label WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY PULL TAB. PULL TAB IS FOR ENABLING EASY BATTERY REMOVAL FROM UNIT.

I Ian Jobson

Al, Thanks for your response, do you know whether it is possible for customers to order replacement Mylar pull tabs or is it a case of when one tears the battery is no longer usable? If we can order spares do you know the part number? Thanks IJ

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?