On Going Policy

// Expert user has replied.
B Brad McDonald 3 years 5 months ago
1 5 0

Hello Y'all, OK, I must be missing something.  How do I create a policy that contains a home brewed executable to always execute during an afterhours condition?  Policies are always compliant the first time they run and never again unless I change the version of the bundle and deploy again. I know I must be missing a simple piece of the puzzle. Here is the problem.  MC75's with SD cards will occassionaly become 'half' inserted, or part way ejected, only to be held by the two screw/irda plastic door. I've put together an executable that will find the inserted SD card and report to MSP attributes in the registry, so MSP can show me all MC75's without an an SD card present. Again.  I'm missing something...right? Thanks Brad

Please Register or Login to post a reply

5 Replies

B Brad McDonald

Allan, OK, geewhiz that was easy to have my executable to check in with the agent.  Wonderful.  OK, how do I re-order the check-in.  GetRegistryInfo is running before my proggie.  Now the information I want to see is always the NEXT check-in and not the current.  Cart in front of horse. Thank You Brad

A Allan Herrod

Brad; You do not need a Control license to run Control Modules.  You only really need a Control license if you are going to do Data Collection.  I know that aspect of the terminology might be a bit confusing.  But the term Control Modules precedes the existence of Control licenses and Control Edition. As for order of execution, there really no way to deterministically control which order check-in commands for packages are executed.  But I have never really seen that it matters.  The MSP Agent runs all the check-in commands very early in the check-in cycle and sends the Discovery Document very late in the check-in cycle.  This means that the results of all the check-in commands will be sent in the Discovery Document.  The only time order would matter is if multiple check-in commands were trying to overwrite the same thing.  That should be avoided since order cannot be controlled. Allan

B Brad McDonald

Allan, I added my control module to my staging bundle just after the installation of Remote Control and GetAdapters.  My control module does indeed execute in a higher order that it did before. Fun stuff. Thanks for the direction. Brad

A Allan Herrod

Brad; Yes, I think you are mising something.  Policies in MSP are designed to ensure that devices have the right software,  They are not intended to be used to repeatly execute something on a device on a perioidic basis.  You COULD use a Policy to do that, if you did it in a peculiar way, but I would not recommend doing so. Instead, what it sounds like you want to do is simply run your executable on a periodic basis.  If that is what you want to do, then the standard MSP way of doing that is to turn your executable into an MSP Contol Module.  An MSP Control Module is just a fancy name for an executable that performs some control function on behalf of or in some way integrated with MSP. In your case, it sounds like what your executable does is check on the state of the SD card and set some values into the Registry that will cause the MSP Agent to report them as Device Attributes.  Is this correct? If that is correct, then all you need to do is Package your executable and in the Package specify a Check In command that runs that executable.  Then, each time the MSP Agent checks in, it will launch that executable BEFORE it looks in the Registry for Device Attributes.  This allows your exectable to run and update the Registry just before the MSP Agent looks there for information.  There is little value in running your executable more often than that since it the information it acquired would not be reported to MSP any more often anyway. This is exactly how the MSP Control Module GetAdapters works.  It is simply an executable that runs every check-in, collects adapter information and puts it into the Registry.  In your case, you might call your Control Module GetSDCardStatus or some such. I hope this helps. Allan

B Brad McDonald

Allan, So, licensure for Control and not just Provision is needed?  Probably huh?!? Brad

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?