Bon jour

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
1 4 0

Customer is testing the AP6511 and is having issues with the Apple Bon Jour discovery protocol. They are trying to discover printers and apparently the AP6511 is blocking that protocol. Everything works fine on the wire and Cisco APs. Has anyone encountered this issue? I have read the exisiting postings but they seem to refer to video streaming.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

J John Sellin

We can test whether or not the protocol is blocked via the firewall by disabling it. Log into the AP in question or the controller AP. ap71xx-4453D4(config)#firewall-policy default ap71xx-4453D4(config-fw-policy-default)#no firewall enable ap71xx-4453D4(config-fw-policy-default)#no stateful-packet-inspection-l2 ap71xx-4453D4(config-fw-policy-default)#commit wr [OK] ap71xx-4453D4(config-fw-policy-default)# ap71xx-4453D4# Now are the packets still being blocked? If so we will need to create a firewall rule to allow those packets through. If it still doesnt work I would suspect the routing or L2 connectivity to the devices in question. Disable the firewalls and let me know.

J John Eveleth

Are you working with Darryl Morin from Advanced Wireless?  He opened a support ticket on this issue.  He stated Rick Baker said this was a known issue and required tweaking on how we handle multicast, but I've never heard of this issue.  I'll check with ECRT to see if this is a known issue, but I haven't seen any SPR's related to this.

J John Eveleth

I don't have a printer that uses Bonjour, but when I install the Bonjour Printer Wizard on my PC and connect it to the AP6511, I see the multicast packets hitting the wire over port 5353 (see attached screenshot of a trace). So unless the issue is the response packet from the printer not making it to the client, this doesn't appear to be our issue.

E Efkan YILMAZ

Forgot to mention, firewall is disabled.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?