using scanner and camera simultaneously on MC55

// Expert user has replied.
M Milly Tseng 3 years 5 months ago
27 8 0

I have a client who is using scanner and camera in a application on MC55. Firstly, read a barcode and secondly take a photo. He uses C# and EMDK for .Net v2.7. Now the problem is: He needs to frequently switch from scanning and taking a photo, disable the barcode and initialize camera and vice versa . However, the switch time of the scanner and camera is about 4-5 seconds. Users complain and cannot accept the long waiting time to use camera after a barcode read completion.  Any suggestion to reduce the 4-5 second switch time?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

8 Replies

S Steve Haller

It so happens I am working with a customer on this same challenge, and I have learned of some CPRs that have been implemented one for MC55A and one for MC75A.  They basically leave the camera turned on to shorten the switch time, which goes down to about 1.5s I am told.  Below is information I received from Vipula, and I am suggesting that the product team incorporate this feature into an upcoming maint release with a reg setting or some means of enabling or disabling this feature. There are two CPRs for Royal Caribbean Cruise lines. (CPR#8072 for MC55A0 and CPR#8073 for MC75A0)
Sisco used MC55A0 CAB and reported the .NET issues, and we fixed it for them. MC75 CAB should also have the same issue though no one has opened a CPR to fix it.

The standard OS switches off power to the camera module when the application no longer uses it to save power. When you apply the custom CAB, we keep the camera powered up after it’s very first initialization. This will have some impact on the battery life. That may be one of the reasons why this fix did not go to the MR.

H Herbert De Jong

Kjell, maybe explain that an CPR  custom product request is most of the time made available for one specific customer and spinned for an certain OEM version. but always CPR group should be approached to ask if an additional customer can use the same CPR files. also CPR is supported outside the normal support process.

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

Herbert is quite right, Kjell. A CPR might become public (just as the one we raised for Correos and now has turned to be the official Document Capture, after evolving a lot). But usually this is exceptional. On the oter hand, just for curiosity, I got into CPR system to see what is this one about... but all I could see was my own CPRs :(.

H Herbert De Jong

besides that we had several occasions were CPR's were used with or without the customer really understanding what it was. But more importantly we had recently two high escalations and onsite support occasions were was found that at least one contributor where outdated CPR files used on later OEM versions. And therefore downgrading certain dll's and missing fixes from the improved OEM implementation. bottom line is be carefull what you apply. document it and warn the customer that CPR's are always static files and they need to be re-spinned if used on later OEM versions.

M Milly Tseng

The customer application needs to take color photos. Every new record includes a barcode and a photo. 

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

I am afraid I'd rather use C/C++, but using "Imager API Support v1.00 For Colour Camera" to take photos, seemed to speed up switching from camera to scanner (only tested on MC75 and MC75A). I ignore if this happens with C# too...

K Kjell Lloyd

Get your hands on the  Royal Carribean CPR 8073. Then you will see around 1 - 1,5 seconds to switch between camera and scanner... (maybe even better). This was tested on MC75A (but should work MC55A).. hence this CPR may drain some more battery as it keeps camera powered. But make sure to test it and to set the right expectations.

V Vojtech Draxl

and does he really need to use both - scanner and camera? For retrieving an paper sheet with barcode, he could use the way presented in Document Capture tool for MC55 or MC55A.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?