Is it possible to do videocapture with Rhodes 5.0.25 ?

T Thierry Leloup 3 years 5 months ago
2 1 0

Hello everybody,

We are evaluating Rhodes 5.0.25 for an application we want to develop and we really need video capture. Perfect solution should be to have the getUsermedia support so that we could do both video/audio captures and WebRTC.

It seems Rhodes is able to do videocapture according to Rhomobile CEO : "Rhodes 2.0 Brings HD Audio-Video Streaming" (Rhodes 2.0 Brings HD Audio-Video Streaming, Is Now Free Under MIT License).

When I look to the Rhodes documentation(Rhomobile | RhoMobile API Summary), I found a "videocapture" API to be used in Ruby only :
but none of the Platforms columns are checked ?! what does that mean ? is it really usable ?

I also found this : Rhomobile | Videocapture and tried it out but I am facing an issue when trying to test the very simple example from the documentation (Rhomobile | Videocapture) : "Error: uninitialized constant Rho::Videocapture" ???

Eventhough this should work, what about the "Audio-Video stremaing" Rhomobile CEO was talking about ?

I know, this is a lot of questions here but I am confused and still don't know if Rhodes is really the tool we need for our application..

Thanks for your help,
Thierry

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

J Jon Tara

If I am reading the API matrix correctly, VideoCapture is available only in Windows Mobile, and requires a paid RhoElements license.

You can implement anything that the underlying system's APIs are capable of by writing a native extension, though. You will have to write it for each platform you want to support. I would do searches to see if somebody else has already done so.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, either a Native Extension, a Native UI Extension, or both, might be appropriate.

The article you reference is very old. Rhodes 2.0 is a long time ago. I'd guess priorities changed since then.

I don't know if getUserMedia() works in a UIWebView (iOS) or WebView (Android). If it does, though, then you may not need any specific Rhodes support to use it.

Capturing Audio & Video in HTML5 - HTML5 Rocks

Try this to test for some amount of support:

function hasGetUserMedia() {  return !!(navigator.getUserMedia || navigator.webkitGetUserMedia ||  navigator.mozGetUserMedia || navigator.msGetUserMedia);}

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?