Enterprise Browser distribution via private Play Store

G George Frost 3 years 4 months ago
32 2 0

Hi there,

We're preparing to deploy approximately 200 Zebra TC52 devices, enrolled as Android Enterprise devices into Microsoft Intune. Under the Android Enterprise model, side-loaded apps can not exist on the device unless they're system apps, or have been delivered via the managed Play Store - they're removed by the DPC (device policy controller) automatically if the app is installed manually via the file browser or StageNow.

We need to deliver Enterprise Browser to the devices by either:
A) Managed Google Play store in order for it to be usable on our devices (privately published).
B) Installing the app as a system app

Option A is obviously our preferred option here. This would mean we can fully utilize our MDM and other GMS features
The issue I've struck to date by using the private Play Store is that Google's target API level requirement is level 26. Enterprise Browser 2.0.1 is only API version 23.

Does Zebra plan to update the API level of the Enterprise Browser apk to at least 26 any time soon? Or is there an alternative method of utilizing the manage Play Store that anyone could suggest?

Thanks,
George.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

M Matt Dermody

Can you really not distribute the APK any other way? I manage Zebra Android devices in AEDO mode with SOTI MobiControl and I regularly distribute APKs of Non-System Apps to those devices outside of the Play Store. I did this today with an MC3300 running Oreo which I suspect you're also running on the TC52.

E Efkan YILMAZ

Hi George,

Thank you for your feedback - I have heard this point a couple of times (though frankly, not explained so well).  It is in the backlog of work to do but I'll raise this post to the product owner which should increase the priority (the more people asking for it)

Darryn.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?